a one-day workshop
This workshop helps the learner listen to the direct and implied messages of others. Communication skills of paraphrase, feedback and overcoming barriers to listening are covered along with an assessment of listening skills.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
At the end of the training, you will be able to:
- Avoid misunderstandings by identifying barriers to effective listening with customers, co-workers and others.
- Improve productivity by practicing strategies to overcome listening barriers.
- Understand others better by practicing the use of listening tools.
- Improve communication with others by using feedback tools.
Unit 1: COMMUNICATION STYLE
- Do you prefer to process information through your sense of: sight, hearing, touch?
- How will this affect your work with your supervisor, co‑workers, trainees and customers?
Unit 2: LISTENING BARRIERS
- Which of these listening barriers do you need to continue to work at:
- Word meaning?
- One-way communication?
- Listening speed?
- Anger and trigger words?
- Projecting your experience?
- Tone of voice?
Unit 3: LISTENING TOOLS
- Which of these listening tools will you try to use:
- Acknowledge instead of problem solve?
- Asking appropriate closed questions?
- Asking appropriate open questions?
Unit 4: FEEDBACK TOOLS
- Feedback tools are used to inform others how they affect you:
- Describe rather than judge
- Stick to the here and now
- Be specific
- Direct it toward behavior the other can do something about
- Well timed
- Asked for
- Other person is capable of using the information
Unit 5: EXPANDED LISTENING SKILLS
- 3 behavior styles
- DESC scripting
This workshop qualifies for .6 of continuing education units.