TRANSFER LEARNING TO THE WORKPLACE: MANAGER'S ROLE
a one-day workshop
This workshop helps the supervisor identify his role before, during, and after training to support the effective transfer of learning from the classroom to the workplace.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
At the end of the training, you will be able to:
- Identify techniques to use a nine-part transfer of learning strategy to transfer learning in the organization.
- Use analysis tools to identify training needs.
- Develop specific strategies to build a partnership with the trainer and learner to ensure transfer of learning.
- Use adult learning principles to build learner retention.
- Identify how a learner’s active role during training influences transferring learning.
- Develop coaching and feedback skills to improve the transfer of learning.
- Use post training performance analysis as a tool to identify what hinders the transfer of learning.
Unit 1: Overview of transfer of learning
- What is transfer of learning?
- Barriers to transfer of learning
- Whose job is it to apply what’s been learned?
- Three-way partnership between supervisor, trainer, and learner
Unit 2: The supervisor’s role in transfer of learning before training
- Set standards of performance
- Decide if training is the answer
- Define training needs with trainer: goal analysis and sorting needs vs. wants
- Define target population
- Establish expectations and objectives with trainer
- Prepare the learner for training
Unit 3: The supervisor’s role in transfer of learning during training
- Support the adult learning process – how people learn
- Identify three styles of learning
- Use appropriate methods to build retention
- Provide sufficient practice to change old habits
Unit 4: The supervisor’s role in transfer of learning after training
- Prepare the learner for transfer
- Overcome resistance to learning new skills
- Provide effective feedback to motivate and correct
- Use questioning and listening to facilitate skills application
- Participate with trainers to evaluate the results of training
- Use post training performance analysis
- Publish successes
This workshop qualifies for .6 of continuing education units.