PROBLEM SOLVING AND
a one-day workshop
This workshop helps you refine your problem solving and decision making skills by using specific, proven methods of getting results. You will be given a framework for solving problems and practice alternative methods to develop this framework. Systematic and creative problem solving techniques are addressed and practiced.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
At the end of the training, you will be able to:
- Identify appropriate methods of developing information to solve problems.
- Given practice problems, solve the problem using the given framework.
- Given a specific problem, practice decision making by consensus.
- Practice solving problems in an efficient manner that discourages over analysis.
- Use a variety of decision-making techniques.
Unit 1: Overview
- Systematic vs. creative problem solving techniques
- When to use each technique
- Developing creativity, creativity inventory . . . what are creative people like?
- Criteria for using creative techniques
Unit 2: Define the Problem
- Problem identification
- Critical thinking
- Is every issue a problem that needs to be solved?
Unit 3: Gather Facts and Data
- Idea generation and fact finding
- Analyzing Performance Problems
- Categorize problems
- Identify barriers to the solution of problems
- How to get results through creativity
- Brainstorming (checklist technique, free association, attribute listing)
Unit 4: Organize the Information
- Matrix organization
- Another approach to creative problem solving
- Likes and differences
Unit 5: Develop Alternative Solutions
- Evaluate and select
- Force field analysis
- Action plan
- Gain acceptance and take action
Unit 6: Analyze the Alternatives and Decision Making
- Value analysis
- Path of least resistance
- Consensus decision making
This workshop qualifies for .6 of continuing education units.