How to Design and Facilitate Effective Training
Offered in a One, Two and Three Day Format
We offer one stop shopping for those that are tasked with the double duty of designing AND facilitating training. We’ve combined elements of our “How to Design Effective Training Programs” and “How to Facilitate Training with Impact!” to help with your just in time training needs.
Essentials of adult learning and how to make training come to life are covered along with facilitation skills and three must-have instructional design tools that help you apply adult learning concepts in the classroom. The content and methods are appropriate for large group instruction as well as on the job training and virtual instruction.
- Match your training style to five adult learning steps
- Implement adult learning concepts using three unique process tools
- Involve the learner using a variety of tools and techniques
- Structure demonstrations with skill practice to minimize risk
- Ask powerful questions to facilitate learning
- Create ‘presence’ when speaking
- Deal with difficult group members effectively
After this workshop you'll have a solid working foundation of adult learning, instructional design and facilitation skills as well as a practical set of tools you can use right away to increase retention and decrease boredom in your learning and development efforts.
- Review workshop content and objectives
- Inventory your current skills
- Set personal objectives for this session
Unit 1: Helping Adults Learn
- Teach a five-minute lesson to a partner
- Evaluate ten aspects of your instructional style
- Use twenty adult learning concepts to enhance learning
- Relate your training style to adult learners by using five adult learning steps
- How to build retention
- Identify three styles of learning
- Identify questions to process learning through five adult learning steps
Unit 2: Prepare to Train
- Review the anatomy of a module
- Use six steps to break down a task into its teachable parts
- Identify why you should bother with objectives
- Select appropriate methods based on the learning objective
- Use effective technical training methods for recall and application
- Provide sufficient practice to change behavior
- Pace methods to avoid boredom
Unit 3: Facilitation Techniques
- Make those butterflies work for you!
- Practice five effective delivery techniques
- Get off to a good start - how to begin a training session
- Avoid overuse of lectures by increasing participation and “discovery” learning during a lecture
- 5four types of questions to increase interaction
- Effectively use basic and follow-up questions to direct learning
- Ask better questions using a six step approach
- Discover how to get the most from a discussion to enhance learning and reach a goal
- Paraphrase for better understanding
- Use a five-step method to conduct effective demonstrations with skill practice
- Give effective feedback to learners to motivate and correct
- Handle problem learners assertively
Unit 4: Optional Participant Practice Facilitation Sessions
The third day will be devoted to “practice facilitation” sessions presented by each participant. The participant will conduct a 10-minute session. A critique sheet that focuses on process, content and delivery will be used for peer and instructor feedback.
Unit 5: Resources
- Who needs training?
- Create effective handouts
- Select appropriate visual support
- Prepare an action plan to transfer skills to your job
Click HERE for a no cost proposal.